Blue Heron Whitewater is co-owned by three partners who have been guiding on the French Broad River in North Carolina for 20 years.
Though we all have experience on other rivers and with other occupations, this North Carolina Whitewater Rafting Company calls The French Broad River our home river, and our passion is sharing the beauty and history of the French Broad River with other folks.
So that you can have the best trip possible, we have invested in a fleet of boats, both rafts and ducks that allow us to help you maximize your fun on the river. Your guides are talented people. They are friends and coworkers who have entered and enriched our lives over the years – an experienced group who work with us to execute our dream of sharing the fun and beauty of the French Broad River with our guests.
Blue Heron Whitewater is a North Carolina Whitewater Rafting small business with goals of providing superior experiences for our guests in a manner that is sustainable for the company, the owners and employees, as well as the river and the surrounding natural area.
When building our new whitewater rafting facility we invested and used sustainable practices and materials whenever possible.
1. There were two old barns on the property when we moved in. Unfortunately they were not usable due to age and condition. We recycled or reused as much of the lumber and tin as we could. We smoothed and de-bugged some of the oak from the old tobacco barn and used it on the store front. An old chicken box from the chicken barn is used as a river shoe display.
2. The buildings design is open and airy to help with airflow and cooling without air conditioners, and to help with the drying of pfds and other wet river gear.
3. The decking boards are made with recycled plastic bags (trex).
4. Waterless urinals in the men’s room.
5. Solar Power! We just had solar panels installed and they are now adding electricity to the grid.
6. Other little things like recycling cans, bottles, paper. Reusing plastic grocery bags for your wet cloths or new t-shirt. Compact fluorescent lights.
We are committed to being good stewards and using sustainable practices whenever possible. If you have any ideas along those lines please let us know.